Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Rat Race

I'm sure you've heard the expression "The Rat Race of Life".  I am unfamiliar of where this expression originated, but I have known it for years to be associated with the quickness and fast pace of daily living.


Today I was reading about life spans of various animals, I know, strange topic!  Look at a few of these:
MAMMALS
Beavers - 19 years
Elephant - 69 years
Hippopotamus - 49 years
Squirrel - 16 years

REPTILES
Box Turtle - 123 years
Cobra - 28 years
Giant Tortoise - 152 years


I don't know if you perceive a pattern, but it seems the "slower" animals live longer than the "faster" animals.  It leaped off the page at me as God told me to "slow down" and enjoy life!  My mother is always telling me that I am too busy (and I know you are reading this, Mom). She is absolutely right, and my response (excuse) is always, "there's nothing I can do about it...this is just my life."

You know, this is my life and there is not much I can do to change all the responsibilities I have as a wife, mother, teacher, pastor's wife, and friend, but I need to take the time each day to slow down, meditate in the Word, thank God, and look for opportunities to help others.  Sometimes in the hectic days of life, we just need to SLOW DOWN from the Rat Race and reflect, rest and renew our souls, minds, and spirits.

So if you want to be a "busy beaver" or a "jumping squirrel", go right ahead.  I am going to try my best to slow down like an elephant, hippo, or a tortoise because if you remember, the tortoise always won the race!!!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment